As of 11 a.m., Hurricane Irma is located about 225 miles east of Antigua. It has maximum sustained winds of 180 mph, and is moving west at 14 mph. This is an extremely dangerous storm on a dangerous track.
- The City of Marathon URGES ALL RESIDENTS to begin storm preparations now and plan to evacuate if the order is issued. “If Hurricane Irma remains on the current track, she has the potential to be one of the worst storms the Florida Keys has experienced. We all need to take this very seriously and plan for the worst and hope for the best. If an evacuation is ordered, all Marathon residents need to evacuate,” said Chuck Lindsey, City of Marathon Manager. “In fact, we encourage residents to leave early.”
- Due to the intensity of the storm, no local shelters will be open.
- City of Marathon and Monroe County Emergency Management are watching this storm closely and making preparations. All day-to-day tasks at local municipalities have been suspended, and only emergency functions are being carried out. Questions should be directed to the county emergency hotline. (Number is listed below.)
- The Monroe County School District has announced schools will be closed Wednesday until further notice. Monroe County’s three hospitals – the Lower Keys Medical Center in Key West, Fishermen’s Hospital in Marathon and Mariners Hospital in Tavernier – have begun plans to evacuate their patients. Monroe County’s Health Department also is closing Wednesday.
- While law enforcement operations will obviously continue in Monroe County, administrative offices will be closed starting on Wednesday, said Monroe County Sheriff Rick Ramsay.
- Today is the last day to sign up for the Monroe County Special Needs Registry. For more information or to register online, go to: www.fl-monroecounty.civicplus.com/index.aspx?=148 or call 305-292-4591.
- Monroe County Information
Phone Number: 1.800.955.5504
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office
- For the full text of the most recent Monroe County press release, please visit https://www.facebook.com/MonroeCountyFLBOCC/?hc_ref=ARREw9CPF_iwGzALV9lZjM9wIDb-y4NBzoe3mZ6h7eIIuE3vipeoiBp_WV0i_fFjxA8&fref=nf