Florida Keys singer/songwriter John Bartus is celebrating his 31st anniversary of performing in the Keys at a special concert for the kickoff of the seasonal “Concerts in the Park” series Sunday, Feb. 8 at 4 p.m. at Sunset Park in Key Colony Beach. Presented by the Key Colony Beach Community Association, the free Concerts in the Park series features a variety of Middle Keys musicians in a beautiful tropical seaside setting. Centennial Bank will be on hand to pass out free hotdogs at the event.
“I really enjoy playing these concerts, and we always seem to attract a great crowd,” Bartus said. “Last year’s 30th anniversary concert was just off the charts.”
Bartus started playing in the Keys 31 years ago this month when he performed his first show at the Compass Lounge (located in the original Holiday Inn before it was rebuilt). Seven thousand gigs later, he will be performing songs from his “Keys Disease” and “Live From the Florida Keys Vol. 2” CDs, as well as songs from his upcoming new studio CD, “Time & Tide.”
Other performers and dates for concerts in the park include:
• Sunday, Feb. 15: Rick and Dana
• Sunday, Feb. 22: The Christopher Dean Band
• Wednesday, Feb. 25: Dave Scott at the gazebo park
• Sunday, March 1: Steve Arvet and the Delta Swamp Rats
• Sunday, March 8: Key Colony Beach Days with music all day
• Sunday, March 15: Island Time Steel Drum Band
• Sunday, March 22: Tim Dee and Jim Hill
• Wednesday, March 25: Michael J. at the gazebo park
• Sunday, March 29: The Blues Brothers
• Wednesday, April 15 Michael Mettalia and Midnight Shift.
All concerts are free.