The Roman Catholic Church has the Pope, and the Episcopal Church has the Presiding Bishop.
On Sunday, December 19, The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori will descend on the Middle Keys community and help commemorate the 50th anniversary of one of Marathon’s most historic churches.
St. Columba’s resident historian Peter Sehlinger recently completed a historical account of the church’s founding and development since the 1930s.
According to Sehlinger, the parish’s origins date back to 1954 when plans to establish a mission in Marathon were discussed at the diocesan convention. In June 1956, the newly established mission took possession of five lots in the Crane Hammock subdivision, and in the years following, while they raised funds to build a church, the tiny congregation held services in vacant buildings throughout Marathon.
After diligent fundraising efforts, ground-breaking ceremonies for the new building were held July 19, 1960, and the first service in the new church was held on Christmas Eve, 1960.
The Episcopal Church’s 26th Presiding Bishop, The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, will serve as the Celebrant and Preacher during 9 am service at St. Columba in Marathon to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the church’s consecration.
A grand potluck reception will follow the service, and the Presiding Bishop will remain in town for the evening’s combined community choir performance and sing along of selections from Handel’s Messiah at 7 pm.
The community is invited and encouraged to attend these most festive of events during the 2010 Christmas holiday season.
The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori