Mayor Teri Johnston is pleased to announce that she appointed Key West High School students Valerie Thene and Rosa Nafrere to the Key West Sustainability Board on Oct. 8.
Thene currently attends Key West High School and is the Technology Quartermaster as well as the class historian for 2023. Her other activities include Marching and Concert Bands, Student Council and Youth Coordinator at the Boys and Girls Club of the Keys Area.
Nafrere is also a Youth Coordinator for the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Keys Area, as well as a member of the Class of 2022 executive board and treasurer of the Student Council. Her other activities include the Chosen Generation Youth Choir and Zonta Club.
“We are very excited to add both of these very talented young women,” said Johnston, “as they educate and engage the public in efforts to make Key West businesses, residents and institutions more sustainable.”
The Mission and duties of the Sustainability Advisory Board are:
• To promote the sustainability of the community as a whole, considering public and private actors and their effects on ecological, economic and community systems.
• Advise and assist the City Commission in efforts to make City operations more sustainable.
• Assist in the development of plans and policies to enhance the sustainability of the City as a whole.
• Educate and support other Key West organizations to become more sustainable.
• Educate and engage the public in efforts to make the community of Key West, including residents, businesses and institutions, more sustainable.