When the 14 candidates for local election gather on Tuesday, Oct. 13, it will be the 10th anniversary of the inaugural Keys Weekly Newspaper and Marathon Chamber of Commerce forum. Every year it has been held at the Marathon Government Center, except last year when only Marathon Council candidates debated at Marathon City Hall.
“I’m grateful to our citizens that stand up to run for office,” said Keys Weekly publisher Jason Koler. “It’s an important element of the democracy that we live in.”
“Jason and I look forward to this collaboration every year, because it matters, just like every vote matters,” said the chamber’s CEO, Daniel Samess.
Koler and Samess will moderate the event. It will be broadcast live on Comcast Channel 76, AT&T U Verse Channel 99, Roku (search for the Monroe County channel) and Monroe County TV (MCTV). The forum runs from 6 to 9 p.m.
The forum will feature the following races:
- U.S. House of Representatives: Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (D) and Carlos Gimenez (R)
- State Senate: Javier Fernandez (D) and Ana Maria Rodriguez (R)
- State Representative: Jim Mooney (R) and Clint Barras (D)
- State Attorney: Dennis Ward (R) and Donald Barrett (D)
- Monroe County Commission Dist. 1: Craig Cates (R) and Analise Mannix (D)
- Monroe County Commission Dist. 3: Heather Carruthers (D) and Eddie Martinez (R)
- Monroe County Commission Dist. 5: Mike Forster (R) and Jose Peixoto (NP)
“Our main goal is to inform our valued chamber members, their staff, as well as the Florida Keys community,” said Samess. “We are proud to have our forums televised throughout Monroe County, allowing greater access to voters and the candidates’ constituents.”
The televised forum is supported by Monroe County and its administrator Roman Gastesi and IT department led by Jethon Williams II. If you have questions or subject matter suggestions for the forum, please submit them to [email protected].