Monroe County, as well as all the municipalities in the Florida Keys such as Key West, Marathon, Layton, Islamorada Village of Islands and Key Colony Beach, have developed their own Disaster Preparedness Plan especially to deal with tropical cyclone emergencies. The multiple purposes of this plan are:
• Reduce vulnerability of people to damage, injury, and loss of life and property.
• Prepare for prompt and efficient response and recovery.
• Prepare for prompt and efficient rescue, care, and treatment of victims.
• Provide a setting of rapid and orderly restoration of services and rehabilitation of affected property.
• Provide for interagency coordination to facilitate immediate delivery of assistance.
Once the county officials declare a local State of Emergency, the Preparedness Plan is then put into action. Depending upon the level of the threat of the approaching storm, the various agencies will take action in coordination with Monroe County’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
At timed intervals before landfall different parts of the plan will be implemented. These include early visitor, boater, and special needs evacuations, coordination of response and recovery teams, any necessary mandatory evacuations, and all necessary interagency coordination.
As county and city officilas have a Disaster Preparedness Plan for its residents and visitors, so should each resident have their own plan. Use the resources in this guide to formulate your own plan, and then make sure you follow the plan when needed.
A government-authored preparedness guide is available online from FEMA.
EMERGENCY NUMBERS/WEB SITES
For all immediate emergencies, dial 911.
• Monroe County Emergency Information Hotline: 1-800-955-5504
• State of Florida Emergency Information: 1-800-342-3557
• National Weather Service, Key West
Facebook: US National Weather Service Key West
• National Hurricane Center
Facebook: NOAA NWS National Hurricane Center
• Monroe County
Facebook: Monroe County BOCC
Monroe Fire: 305-289-6088
Key Largo Fire: 305-451-2700
• Monroe County
Facebook: MCSO Florida Keys
• Key West
Rumor Control: 305-289-5268
Emergency Office: 305-743-5266
Marathon Fire: 305-743-5266
Grassy Key Fire: 305-743-7599
• Village of Islamorada
• Key Colony Beach
Monroe County School District: 305-293-1400
Florida Keys Community College: 305-296-9081
Special Needs Evacuation Assistance: 305-292-4591
Florida Keys Electric Coop: 305-852-2431
Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority: 305-296-2454
Keys Energy Services: 305-295-1000