The Weekly Newspapers and the Marathon Chamber of Commerce will once again co-host a political forum on Monday, Oct. 6 beginning at 6 p.m. in the Marathon Government Center.
Chamber CEO Daniel Samess said local candidates and the public are invited. At press time, the following races will have representatives at the forum:
• U.S. Congress representative Dist. 26: Joe Garcia, Carlos Curbelo.
• Monroe County Commission, Dist. 2: George Nugent, Eleanor McAdams.
• Mosquito Control, Dist. 2: Phil Goodman, Roger Cousineau, Lynda Schuh.
• Mosquito Control, Dist. 5: Tom McDonald, Geoff Bailey.
• Circuit Judge, Group 4: Jack Bridges, Bonnie J. Helms.
• City of Marathon, at large: Chris Bull, Mike Cinque, Trish Hintze, Bill Kelly and Daniel ‘Doc Dan’ Zieg.
The questions are designed to tackle a variety of subjects from the economy to the environment, but are pertinent to the issues faced by the various governing bodies. Each candidate will have one minute to answer about five different questions posed by The Weekly’s Jason Koler and the chamber’s Daniel Samess, plus extra time for opening and closing remarks.
Last year’s forum attracted a big crowd and organizers hope for the same this year.
“Quite a few people came out,” Samess said. “We are proud to host these forums so we can inform businesses and residents how candidates stand on the important issues that affect our economy and lives.”
The forum will be broadcast on Comcast Channel 76 and rebroadcast again at a later date.