Weekly Staff report
For three years the Bubbas (Key West People’s Choice Awards) have allowed Key West locals to weigh in and decide on everything from the best Key Lime Pie to the best local celebrities in the Southernmost City. And on July 15, the fourth installment of the anticipated awards banquet will take place at the Key West Theater.
“I never would have imagined the Bubbas would have taken on a life of it’s own just after four years,” said Key West Weekly owner Britt Myers. “We have been fortunate to have great community support, which has in turn supported some great local causes.”
To date, the Bubbas have raised more than $40,000 for local nonprofits, including the Bahama Village Music Program and Samuel’s House. This year, the program will benefit Wesley House Family Services, along with the Rotary Club of Key West —who is also stepping up to take on the role of ballot counting.
“I always like to remind everyone this is for charity,” said Myers. “Everyone has an opinion and with so many great choices in Key West, the winners are always subjective. The main thing is to have fun and support a great cause.”
Once again, First State Bank, Waste Management and Horan & Higgins have graciously chipped in as sponsors, along with the generosity of the Key West Theater, who will act as host to the Bubbas for a third time. In addition, Rick Lopez and his team at Florida Keys Media will partner with the Keys Weekly to produce the 2017 Bubbas.
Here is the skinny:
- June 2: Paper ballots appear in the Key West Weekly. Voters can write in their favorites amongst more than 70 categories.
- June 12: Paper ballots are collected and the top 3 in each category will be added to an online ballot where voters can choose between the three candidates.
- June 16: Online ballots appear at www.keysweekly.com and all of Florida Keys Media’s websites.
- July 7th: Online voting ends at 5 pm.
- July 15: Bubbas: Key West People’s Choice Awards takes place at the Key West Theater.