Sure, there’s Jon Gruden and his terrible, no good, horrible, very bad emails. But what about Roger Goodell? The irony of reactions to different acts by different NFL people? And what about those several hundred thousand other emails?
Top 10 things we learned about Jon Gruden and the NFL after leaked emails…
10. Jon Gruden is a POS. No matter how much you love his frat boy, “Tell it like it is” persona, he’s the antithesis of progress.
9. Roger Goodell and the NFL are spineless. Of the 650,000 “leaked” emails, we are supposed to believe only Gruden’s made it to the press?
8. The only winner in the Gruden email scandal is Urban Meyer. At least no one is talking about his next coaching job … for now.
7. The Raiders will likely fade away this season. And after signing Gruden for $100 million and finally being considered as a serious Super Bowl contender — this is the most Las Vegas thing that could have happened.
6. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. But when you’re a racist, even things you said 10 years ago can and will be used against you.
5. It’s “locker room talk” when you’re president of the United States. It’s career oblivion when you’re not.
4. Many fans boycotting the NFL over a player kneeling during the anthem won’t bat an eye at Jon Gruden’s racist and misogynistic emails (insert irony here).
3. Many of the same people who will boycott the NFL over Gruden’s racist and misogynistic emails won’t bat an eye at Facebook and Instagram — which specifically targeted teens with harmful content and used algorithms deliberately to bolster divisions and weaken democracy, according to reports by whistleblower Frances Haugen.
2. Jon Gruden is likely the tip of the iceberg. The NFL will do everything it can to keep the other 649,840 emails out of the public eye.
1. An NFL owner of the winningest franchise in the modern era can solicit prostitutes in Florida and somehow get his surveillance evidence tossed in court (although the women who were solicited have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law) and ESPN goes radio silent. So if you want to know the difference between a billionaire and millionaire … now you know.