Mean Into Green
From the most hated to the most loved. That is the Grinch’s trajectory in the minds and hearts of millions and millions of Christmas lovers around the world. Born in 1957, the Grinch has had an amazing run in the public eye. With his 60th birthday approaching, the Weekly caught up with the Grinch in Whoville, where he leads the life of a quiet, semi-retired pillar of the community.
- How’s the renovation of the cave on Mount Crumpit going? Chip and Joanna Gaines came and helped me. Joanna talked a little too much but I am really loving the wagon wheel theme.
- When was the last time you saw Cindy Lou Who? Cindy and I meet up every Saturday for karaoke; our favorite duet is “Islands In The Stream.” Tuesdays is yoga.
- You’ve become a respected citizen of Whoville. Can you tell us about your work on the Code Board? Well, as you know, the architecture in Whoville has always been a little wonky and unstable, so we have been upgrading the buildings to code.
- How’s Max? Is he getting up there in years? Yes he is; he stopped pulling the sled awhile back so he sleeps and watches Animal Planet most of the day.
- Can you give us a hint … who is the 2017 Cheermeister? Well, it was going to be Jerry Tambor again … I think we are going to have an emergency special hearing.
- We understand you are pursuing a master’s degree in Environmental Management of Mountain Areas (EMMA). Can you tell us about this? Mountains are totally under-appreciated — everyone is like “save the beaches,” “save the oceans,” blah blah blah. It’s a Rocky Mountain high for a reason.
- Care to share your recipe for Who-roast-beast? The doc suggested I lay off the red meat since my heart grew 3 times its size, so now we just have a nice veggie lasagna spruced up with a little tofu. I am sort of baby vegan now, going green inside and out!
- The lyrics of “Welcome Christmas,” though. What does “Fahoo fores dahoo dores” really mean? Oh, my, that’s a funny story. I was screaming at them ”Hey You, yahoo Chorus!” I was my old grumpy self, and gosh darn it, those little Whos switched it up on me.
- There’s a quiet rumor out there about your good works. Which projects are closest to your heart? Everything is close to my heart now that it’s so big! Ha. But seriously, I have taken up knitting and make sweaters for the local SPCA dogs. Max inspired me.
- What books are on your bedside table? “Leaning In” by Sheryl Sandberg; I think it’s really timely right now, very inspirational.
- If you could have any superhero power, what would you choose? Teleportation. Now that Max is out of commission, I hate walking all the way to Whoville. My Fitbit says it’s like 5,000 steps.
- If you could have lunch with any one person, whom would you choose? Cat in the Hat; can’t figure out why people like him so much.
- Kill, marry, or shag: Dr. Seuss, Jim Carrey, Mayor Augustus Maywho? Kill Maywho, shag Jim, marry Dr. S.
- Favorite social media platform? What’s your handle? I love Twitter. Twitter fights, Twitter litter, everything Twitter. Find me at @theRealGrinch.
- What is your nerdiest passion? I trim Bonsai trees; it’s very relaxing.
Finish these sentences …
- My friends and family would describe me as … a lovable old coot.
- My autobiography would be titled … “Turning Mean into Green”
- I can never refuse … peppermint schnapps.
- When I go, I will go … the day after Christmas.
- My New Year’s plan is … serve the Whos champagne; it’s hilarious, drunk little Whos singing and dancing. I take a lot of photos.