Mote Marine Laboratory’s Summerland Key facility, The Elizabeth Moore International Center for Coral Reef Research and Restoration, is currently closed to tours and outside visitors. However, their commitment to restoration, research, and education remains steadfast. There are still multiple ways to stay connected (and educated) with Mote during this time.
ReMote Virtual Learning:
Need more ocean and science content for your at-home learning? Each week, Mote will share new interactive lessons, activities, and behind the scenes videos featuring the research of Mote scientists to their Google classroom page. This virtual education portal is free and available for all age groups. To join the Mote Florida Keys Google classroom:
- Visit classroom.google.com
- Add the class by searching code: UAML5D3
- Explore folders and resources and let the fun & learning begin!
- Explore Mote’s Keys specific research and restoration efforts through social media:
- Find Mote’s coral reef specific information, including our educational content, on Facebook and Instagram under our Protect Our Reefs pages @ProtectourReefs
- Follow Florida Keys History & Discovery Center’s Facebook page every Monday to watch Mote Aquarist, Blake Terry discuss Mote’s Coral Reef Exploration exhibit
- Follow Mote’s main Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages @MoteMarineLab/Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium
Ocean Trivia Night, April 28th at 5 p.m.:
Show off your marine science chops and join Mote for a virtual trivia night and happy hour during the 2020 Giving Challenge. Form a team or play as an individual. The game is free to play and open to all. You will need a smartphone and/or computer with internet. Winning teams/individuals will be eligible for prizes! To play, you must first register: https://mote.org/pages/trivia
During normal operations, Mote’s Summerland Key facility is open to the public on Tuesdays at 10 AM for free tours. Mote education also provides interactive classroom outreach programs for Monroe County Schools and opportunities to stay overnight at the lab with their residential multi-day programs. For more information, visit mote.org/keyseducation.